German Chocolate Cupcakes from Jenn:from addapinch.com
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon espresso powder
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Place cupcake liners in muffin tin. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
- Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
- Evenly distribute cake batter. Each cupcake liner should be about ¾ths full.
- Place in the oven and bake 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. chopped pecans, toasted
2 Tbsp. flaked sweetened coconut, toasted
Melt butter in medium saucepan over med. heat. Add brown sugar, cook 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Add milk and cook 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Whisk until smooth. while frosting is warm, frost each cupcake and sprinkle with pecans and coconut.