Thursday, October 7, 2010

Pumpkin Curry Soup.

photo credit: organic authority

Pumpkin Curry Soup from Michelle:

4 T. butter
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, pressed
2 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cardamom (if you don't want to go buy this, you can leave it out)
1 1/2 - 2 tsp. salt (to taste - adjust at end)
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. black pepper (to taste - adjust at end)
1 large can pumpkin
4 c. chicken stock (4 cups water + 4 tsp. bouillon)
1 bay leaf
2 1/2 - 3 cups half and half and/or cream (original recipe called for half and half, but I had a little left over cream in the fridge, so I used both, I'm sure all cream would be yummy too)
3 chicken breasts, shredded

Pre-cook the chicken. I've baked it or done it in the crockpot. When I do it in the crockpot I put the chicken broth in with the chicken and cook it until it's tender and shreddable. I save the broth, strain it, and use it in the soup.

Melt butter, saute onions and garlic for about 8 minutes. Add spices and cook for another minute or so. Add pumpkin and broth. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add chicken and half and half/cream, warm through but don't boil. Adjust salt and pepper. You can eat it as a traditional soup or serve it over rice or noodles. I've also added wild rice to the soup before and that's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment